What Can You Do?
There are three important things you can do at MWC to help the environment:
1. Offset your Carbon Footprint
Your flight, accommodation, transportation and food choice generates an impact on the environment. We can help the global ecosystem by offsetting our footprint. Simply follow these four steps to calculate and offset your carbon footprint at MWC.
2. Recycle your Badge
If every attendee recycled their badge, the carbon footprint of the event would decrease by the equivalent carbon absorption of about 540 trees. Recycle your badge on the last day of the event to reduce our environmental impact. Recycle bins are conveniently located at the exits of the venue.
3. Minimise your Impact
What is the Environmental Programme?
We are a carbon neutrality programme committed to reducing the impact of our business on the environment, both in our offices and at our events. We work closely with Barcelona City Council, L’ Hospitalet City Council, Fira Barcelona, exhibitors and local partners to minimise the impact of our show.
Our objectives are:
our emissions and waste to contribute to the preservation of the environment
our attendees to be green along with us and educate them about our goals
new and additional opportunities to reduce our event’s environmental impact
wherever possible our suppliers and exhibitors to minimise their impact on the environment
Improving Every Year
We have been certified carbon neutral since 2014 and achieved the recognition as “The World’s Largest Carbon Neutral Trade Show” by Guinness World Records in 2015, 2016, 2018, and 2019. With your help, we hope to pursue this record again in 2020. We are constantly working on new initiatives, and aim to generate the least waste possible by recycling or donating the majority of event material.
Our main achievements:
- Guinness record for World’s Largest carbon neutral trade show in MWC15, MWC16, and MWC18
- Creation of a Green Initiative Logo for all our green initiatives
- Launch of the Donation Room Programme in MWC16
- GSMA is committed to reinforce the impact of the SDG’s launching them at MWC17
- Creation of the Green Stand Initiative in MWC15 to calculate exhibitors carbon footprint
- All our event related materials are printed locally and on recycled paper
- We’re dedicated to reduce plastic. In MWC19, 80% of the cups were biodegradable or chinaware
- 90% of all tableware in our catering outlets is made from biodegradable materials
- Lanyards are made from recycled post consumer plastic bottles
- Our Fira Gran Via venue has photovoltatic roof with 18,000 solar panels. Able to generate renewable energy
Our plans for MWC 2020
- MWC Donation Room – Since 2015, we offer a Donation Room to all exhibitors to donate materials from their MWC stand to local socially responsible entities that are making an impact in Barcelona and L’Hospitalet. At MWC 2019 we gathered 26,7 tonnes of materials and we benefited more than 20 social and cultural entities.
- The Green Stand Initiative – The Green Stand Initiative will provide 30 free carbon footprint studies to space-only exhibitors on a first-come, first-served basis. This will provide us with more accurate data for the event carbon footprint study. All data will be confidential.
- Reduce Single-Use Plastic – We aim to reduce single-use plastic by offering Bottle Filling Water Fountains in selected locations around the venue for attendees to refill their personal reusable water bottles.
Barcelona is proud to be a Biosphere World Class Destination – Since 2011, the city holds the Biosphere responsible tourism certificate in line with the international criteria of the Global Sustainable Tourism Council
We love to hear your ideas!
Send us your comments here: [email protected]