Venkat is a leading expert in technology and the Internet of Things (IoT): the vast and emerging opportunities created by the network connectivity of devices, systems, and people. He draws on this expertise to guide clients through the design and deployment of the systems that power network-based businesses.
Since joining McKinsey, in 2001, Venkat has partnered with top executives in a broad range of industries to set strategy, improve sales and marketing approaches, and develop new products and services. He also builds new businesses and guides them to the IPO stage. Keenly interested in the future of technology, Venkat has a special focus on cross-sector opportunities at the intersection of new technologies and existing business models. He also advises venture and private-equity investors, is a founding member of McKinsey’s New Ventures group, and leads McKinsey’s global IoT efforts.
Examples of his work include the following:
• building an IoT-based business for a technology leader
• leading a business transformation to drive a step-change improvement for a global leader in enterprise technology
• helping venture groups scale up businesses based on wireless technology
• building a cross-sector business for an advanced electronics company
• developing software-based business models for a consumer and industrial company
Before joining McKinsey, Venkat held global leadership positions in digital businesses. He also worked in product development and management in Japan and at General Electric and 3M in the United States.