About this Award
GSMA’s Outstanding Contribution to the Mobile Industry Award annually recognises outstanding achievement in the mobile industry. The award honours individual or organisational achievements for technology advancements that are shaping the mobile sector, as we know it today.
This discretionary award is a personal honour for the recipient who is chosen by the GSMA alone. The category is NOT open for entry.
- 2019: Kaan Terzioğlu, CEO, Turkcell
- 2018: Huawei
- 2017: For Inspirational Efforts in Support of Syrian Refugees – Joint Winners: Asiacell, Deutsche Telekom, Turkcell, Zain and Vodafone
- 2016: Aircel, Bharti Airtel, Idea Cellular, Tata Teleservices, Telenor and Vodafone – India
- 2015: Jamaludin Ibrahim, President & Group CEO, Axiata Group
- 2014: Dr Paul Jacobs, CEO & Chairman of Qualcomm Inc.
- 2013: KT and SK Telecom of South Korea
- 2012: NTTDOCOMO, KDDI & SOFTBANK of Japan
- 2011: Wang Jianzhou, Executive Chairman, China Mobile
- 2010: Carl-Henric Svanberg, Former CEO of Ericsson
- 2009: Jim Balsille & Mike Lazaridis, Co-CEOs of Research in Motion (RIM)
- 2008: Sunil Bharti Mittal, Founder, Chairman and Group CEO of Bharti Enterprises
- 2007: Mohamed Ibrahim, Chairman, Celtel
- 2006: Jorma Ollila, Nokia Corporation
- 2005: The Brazilian Ministry of Communications
- 2004: Zhang LiGui, China Mobile
- 2003: Sir Christopher Gent, Vodafone Group
- 2002: NTTDoCoMo,Inc.